Book an


Visas & Supervisas

Visas Supervisas

You can stay in Canada temporarily if you have a visa. You can also come as a visitor and do not need a visa but may need a visitor record. If you want to work or study in Canada, you will likely need to apply for one of these three types of temporary resident visas:

What is a visa?

A visa is a document issued by a country’s government that allows you to enter or leave that country. A visa is needed only if your stay in Canada will last longer than 6 months.

If you have an open work permit, then it means that your work permit has been approved and there is no need for a supervisa when seeking entry into Canada.

How to apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit outside of Canada

  • Apply Online

You can submit an application for a visitor visa, study or work permit from outside Canada by using the Application for a Temporary Resident Visa (IMM5257) form and submitting it to the visa office responsible for your region. You will need to pay a fee at the time of making your application. If you are applying online, you will also need an email account that is accessible from computers that have Internet access and can accept scanned documents.

  • Apply in Person at a Visa Office

If you prefer to apply in person, visit one of our visa offices around the world and bring with you two passport-size photos (35mm x 45mm), original documents such as your birth certificate or marriage certificate as well as copies of these documents, proof of financial support (bank statements or other evidence), proof of travel plans (air tickets), proof of medical insurance valid for Canada covering the duration of stay – all this in addition to payment methods including credit card details for online applications

How to extend your stay as a visitor, student or worker

You can apply to extend your stay before your current status expires. There are two ways of extending your stay: online, or by application at a Canadian port of entry.

If you need to renew or apply for an initial work permit from outside Canada, you must do so at least three days before the expiry date of your existing work permit. If this does not allow enough time for the processing of your application, please contact us and we will advise you on what documents must be sent in order to process this sooner.

Inviting temporary visitors to Canada

As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada, you can apply to invite a temporary visitor to Canada.

You must meet certain requirements and pay a fee before you can apply. You must also be able to support the visitor while they are in Canada, and help them travel back home safely when their stay is over.


If you are looking for a way to stay with your grandkids in Canada for more than one year, this is for you. In addition, you must: provide a copy of the medical insurance policy pay the processing fees pass an immigration medical exam (you have to pay for this) plan to visit for up to 2 years at a time.


If you are looking for a way to stay with your grandkids in Canada for more than one year, this is for you.

If you are looking for a way to stay with your grandkids in Canada for more than one year, this is for you. The Supervisa allows you to visit your family in Canada for up to 10 years total. You can also visit for up to two years at a time.

In addition, you must:

  • Pass an immigration medical exam. A doctor will review your health history and conduct tests to ensure that you are in good physical shape before you apply for the J-1 visa.

  • Pay the processing fees. These include the nonrefundable DS-160 fee and other costs associated with administering your application, such as translations and document authentication fees. The total amount will vary depending on how many applications need to be processed at once, but it typically ranges between $200-$300 USD (or more).

  • Have proof that the medical insurance has been paid in full by submitting photocopies of all pages of your passport along with a copy of your receipt from paying for the policy up front. You should also bring copies of any other documents relating directly to this process; don’t forget about those receipts!

Provide a copy of the medical insurance policy

  • The insurance policy must be valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry.

  • The insurance policy must be at least $100,000 emergency coverage.

  • The insurance policy must be from a Canadian insurance company.

  • The insurance policy must be paid in full.

Plan to visit for up to 2 years at a time

You must also plan to visit for up to 2 years at a time. If you want to stay longer than this, you can apply for another visa if one is available and applicable. You may also need reasons why it would be in the country’s interest to grant you an extension of your status while in Canada. For example:

  • You have family members who don’t have permanent resident status in Canada

  • Your work contract requires more time than that allotted by the Supervisa’s current validity period (2 years)

To find out if you need a visa, see Visit Canada.

If you still haven’t found the answer to your question, visit the website for more information about visas for parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren, other family members or business visitors. If you are a refugee claimant who needs a visitor visa to travel to Canada, visit the IRCC website for more information on who needs one and how to apply.

If you’re studying in Canada as an international student (from outside of North America) then click here

we are ready to help you

Ask For An Assessment

Get in touch with Edithe Fotso and we will get back to you with a customized strategy for your case. The sooner you act, the more chance you have for success!